Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Fryeburg Fair, financially raping us since 1851

I remember when I was a kid the fair seemed magical, sadly this isn't the case anymore. I'm not really sure if it really was nicer when I was little or if it was just that whole innocent child thing. My guess is a little of both. Don't get me wrong though, I still love it. I mean, how could you not love the fair? Cheesy games with weird prizes, rides that make you hurl, gambling, people doing stupid shit with big trucks and last, but sure as hell not least, the food. I always get a kick out of fair food, you can find deep fried anything. Place is a fat kid's dream.

I was a little bummed to see that the musics been updated. I wandered past the Thunderbolt and heard bad pop music, even a couple years ago they were still playing Poison... I always kinda thought it was in some secret carny handbook that you had to play 80's hair bands on the rides. It is that same creepy guy running it though. He still has that greasy mullet and those unkempt sideburns that come to a point along his jaw all classy like. I can't help but wonder if the dirty blue jumpsuit he wears is the same one he had when I was a kid. I'm thinkin' it is.

There are a lot of strange little things I don't ever remember seeing before. Like the inspirational notes in the women's bathrooms. Did you guys see these? I walked into the bathroom and noticed little post-it notes everywhere, I didn't bother to read them because frankly, I don't care. Then I went in the stall, this time I had no choice; they taped it to the inside of the door, tricky bastards. It read "When depressed, remember your hopes and dreams and just smile. Have a nice day!" ...Hmmm, now maybe it's just me but that's kind of a weird thing to put in a bathroom. But, it's whatever.

Now, we all know the fair likes to financially rape us, it always as. Ya always pay $5 to play a crappy, rigged game where if you're lucky, you'll win a broken yoyo and I'm ok with that. However, they're starting to cross the line. I actually witnessed a friend pay $3 for a bottle of soda than had already been drank. I mean, really guys? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for making a profit but if you're selling previously eaten food then we need to talk. Honestly though, I know by this time next year I'll have forgotten all this crap and be as excited as shit for the fair. But hell, carnivals have always been trashy right? Why change 'em now?


No comments:

Post a Comment